Updated: Jan 4
1. The earliest human skull, dating back circa 2 million years, was discovered in Tanzania, in the Olduvai Gorge.
2. Tanzania/Zanzibar is the home to the largest crab in the world; the coconut crab.
3. Freddie Mercury from 'Queen' was born in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
4. Almost every ecological system can be found on Mount Kilimanjaro; this includes cultivated land, heath, rainforest, alpine desert, moorland, and an arctic summit (!).
5. The shortest war in history, between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar, was fought in 1896 in Tanzania - it lasted 45 minutes.
6. Tanzania's Serengeti National Park is one of the oldest ecosystems on the planet.
7. The Serengeti is home to the Ol Doinyo Lengai, the only volcano currently erupting with carbonatite lava.
8. Tanzania's Lake Manyara National Park was the first park to become famous for tree-climbing lions.
9. Tanzania is still discovering a new species. In 2003, a new monkey, the kipunji, was found.
10. Zanzibar has its leopard population; the Zanzibar Leopard.
Want to hear more interesting facts about Tanzania?
Ready to start planning?
Little wonder a Tanzania Safari ranks amongst the top safari choices as an ideal destination for first-time and experienced safari-goers alike.